Accomplishments for 2011-2012
You are here
Improved Classroom and Learning Technology
- Applied learning-space theory to improve learning spaces, including classrooms, computer laboratories, informal spaces, and online environments.
- Completed a pilot of centralized control of classroom technology through classroom control systems.
- Oversaw classroom infrastructure for building and reconstruction projects: Montague Hall
- Supported the comprehensive plan for learning and teaching support that includes such things as a center of teaching and learning, a writing center, tutoring services, and a library commons area. [UMD-SP 1.7]
- Expanded support for class-capture and other video technologies using the Kaltura platform.
- Assisted faculty with applications of Google Apps.
- Participated in the University-wide conversion from WebVista to Moodle for course information. Provided local support for faculty to convert their class information.
- Encouraged and supported course redesign projects to include active learning strategies, best practices, and alternate modes of delivery. [UMD-SP 1.5]
- Continued support for online and hybrid learning environments.
- Refreshed the technology in approximately one-third of UMD general-purpose classrooms.
Improved Student Services
- Participated in Welcome Week by providing workshops as well as support for student computers and networking.
- Completed wireless networking in residence halls and campus apartments.
- Supported the development and dissemination of a campus definition of equity, diversity, and social justice and share these understandings with all students, staff, and faculty. [UMD-SP 2.1]
Improved Services and Support for Customers
- Improved customer service by setting clear priorities, focusing on fewer projects at one time, and meeting deadlines.
- Improved the ITSS physical environment, policies, and procedures to demonstrate inclusiveness. Emphasized the value of information technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.6 and 6.3]
- Promoted the effective use of technology and information resources in teaching and learning, research and creative endeavors, outreach activities, and support of University business. [UMD-SP 6.5]
- Improved web services, including replacement of primary web servers, upgrade of all software, and expanded support for database-driven web applications.
- Expanded services to users with mobile devices, including smart phones, iPads, and net books. Provided access to UMD web sites for smaller form factors.
- Enhanced the Active Directory environment to provide software management for desktop computers.
- Supported the development of a strong and consistent brand and visual identity for UMD. [UMD-SP 5.6]
Improved Fiscal Management
- Revised our rates for FY2013 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Completed audit and review business processes for compliance and efficiency improvement.
- Improved ISO inventory compliance and reporting for resale materials.
Provided Effective Application Development Support and Services
- Continued to provide consulting and programming services to campus units, and transformed their needs into project and program support.
- Continued to provide timely, consistent management reporting from University data assets and transition into using enterprise business intelligence reporting tools.
- Researched new programming development technologies.
- Utilized change and project management processes to improve customer application development and project support.
Improve Computer, Network, and Physical Security
- Expanded use of secure wireless on campus laptops and other devices that require additional security.
- Worked to bring the campus into compliance with the University Policy on Securing Private Data, Computers, and Other Electronic Devices.
- Established a logging service for servers.
- Encouraged migration of department-owned servers to secure ITSS virtual server space.
- Exercised and updated operational continuity plan.
- Completed annual security review of critical applications.
- Automated processes for responding to reports of security problems or inappropriate use of computers on the UMD network.
- Collaborated with the Office of Information Technology to implement the Sandvine solution for improved network security management.
Improved Campus Infrastructure
- Improved high-speed connectivity to the Internet and to remote campus locations.
- Worked toward establishing UMD as an anchor tenant for a regional fiber optic hub. [UMD-SP 6.2]
- Led the campus to more efficient use of server equipment and facilities. Encouraged the use of virtual servers, energy-saving solutions, and shared data center and server rooms.
- Improved disaster recovery by implementing new virtual server backup and recovery systems.
- Began to use Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes at UMD ITSS to improve response to incidents and problems and manage change more effectively.
- Participated in the University-wide identity management project, including conversion of ITSS authentication systems.
- Participated in all campus renovation and building projects: Montague Hall.
- Invested in UMD infrastructure and communication upgrades to more actively promote the athletic, recreational, and cultural opportunities available on and off campus. [UMD-SP 6.6]
Improved Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Continually reviewed and revised ITSS staff handbook. Regularly reviewed ITSS policies.
- Reallocated staff and equipment resources from email services to web, database, security, and programming services following the campus conversion to Google Apps.
- Reallocated staff and equipment resources from Novell services to Active Directory services following the campus conversion to Active Directory.
- Hired replacement staff.
- Emphasized social justice to support recruitment, retention, and support of ITSS staff and student employees. [UMD-SP 2.2]
- Continued to improve the ITSS physical environment, policies, and services to better demonstrate our commitment to inclusiveness and social justice. Emphasize the value of information technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.6]
- Worked to build community and respect within the ITSS staff.
- Encouraged staff training and professional development.
- Continued to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment for staff.
Participated in Campus Life
- Worked to guide and enhance the use of technology across the UMD community.
- Maintained strong collaboration and coordination between IT staff within UMD units, ITSS, and University of Minnesota technology units.
- Met and coordinated activities with our campus partners.
- Contributed to campus governance and activities by serving on committees, task forces, commissions, etc.
- Contributed to campus sustainability efforts. [UMD-SP 6.8 and 6.9]
- Reviewed the IT landscape for useful emerging technologies.