Priorities for 2011-2012
- Strategic Planning: Bring ITSS mission, vision, values, and plans in line with the UMD strategic plan. Items below will be marked UMD-SP X.Y, where X is the goal and Y is the action step in the UMD strategic plan.
- Academic Support : Assist faculty with conversion to Moodle and Google Apps, support the 3D/HD/I3 grant in the VDIL, support development of a center of teaching and learning and library commons area, and continue support for online and hybrid learning environments. Implement centralized control of classroom technology, universal design, and video captioning solutions. [UMD-SP 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7]
- Infrastructure: Improve high-speed connectivity to the Internet and to remote campus locations. Encourage conversion of physical servers to virtual server infrastructure. Replace the campus card solution for multiple services, including printing. Adapt Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes for use at UMD ITSS to improve response to incidents and problems and manage change more effectively. Participate in the University-wide identity management project. [UMD-SP 6.2 and 6.6]
- Mobile Computing: Expand services to users with mobile devices, including smart phones, iPads, and net books. Provide access to UMD web sites for smaller form factors.
- Inclusiveness: Continue to improve the ITSS physical environment, policies, and services to better demonstrate our commitment to inclusiveness and social justice. Emphasize the value of information technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.1, 2.2, 2.6]
Goals for 2011-2012
The goals below are not listed in order of importance. The projects listed under each goal are a subset of all we will do. We encourage each ITSS team to determine how their projects will help to support our goals.
Improve Classroom and Learning Technology
- Apply learning-space theory to improve learning spaces, including classrooms, computer laboratories, informal spaces, and online environments.
- Implement centralized control of classroom technology through classroom control systems.
- Oversee classroom infrastructure for building and reconstruction projects: Montague Hall
- Support the comprehensive plan for learning and teaching support that includes such things as a center of teaching and learning, a writing center, tutoring services, and a library commons area. [UMD-SP 1.7]
- Expand support for class-capture and other video technologies.
- Assist faculty with applications of Google Apps.
- Participate in the University-wide conversion from WebVista to Moodle for course information. Provide local support for faculty to convert their class information.
- Support the 3D/HD/I3 grant in the VDIL.
- Encourage and support course redesign projects to include active learning strategies, best practices, and alternate modes of delivery. [UMD-SP 1.5]
- Continue support for online and hybrid learning environments.
- Implement centralized control of classroom technology, universal design, and video captioning solutions.
- Refresh the technology in approximately one-third of UMD general-purpose classrooms.
Improve Student Services
- Participate in Welcome Week by providing workshops as well as support for student computers and networking.
- Complete wireless networking in residence halls and campus apartments.
- Provide peer and online training for students.
- Improve student printing services.
- Support the development and dissemination of a campus definition of equity, diversity, and social justice and share these understandings with all students, staff, and faculty. [UMD-SP 2.1]
Improve Services and Support for Customers
- Improve customer service by setting clear priorities, focusing on fewer projects at one time, and meeting deadlines.
- Improve the ITSS physical environment, policies, and procedures to demonstrate inclusiveness. Emphasize the value of information technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.6 and 6.3]
- Promote the effective use of technology and information resources in teaching and learning, research and creative endeavors, outreach activities, and support of University business. [UMD-SP 6.5]
- Improve web services, including replacement of primary web servers, upgrade of all software, and expanded support for databased web applications.
- Expand services to users with mobile devices, including smart phones, iPads, and net books. Provide access to UMD web sites for smaller form factors.
- Enhance the Active Directory environment to provide software management for desktop computers.
- Participate in the University-wide UData system for documenting faculty accomplishments. Provide local support for UMD faculty.
- Participate in the University-wide customer relationship management system implementation. Provide local support for UMD constituents.
- Support the development of technology resources that serve the wider community. [UMD-SP 5.3]
- Support the development of a strong and consistent brand and visual identity for UMD. [UMD-SP 5.6]
Improve Fiscal Management
- Revise our rates for FY2013 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Complete audit and review business processes for compliance and efficiency improvement.
- Improve ISO inventory compliance and reporting for resale materials.
Provide Effective Application Development Support and Services
- Continue to provide consulting and programming services to campus units, and transform their needs into project and program support.
- Continue to provide timely, consistent management reporting from University data assets and transition into using enterprise business intelligence reporting tools.
- Research new programming development technologies, and implement them as support solutions.
- Utilize change and project management processes to improve customer application development and project support.
Improve Computer, Network, and Physical Security
- Expand Active Directory Services to Macintosh and Linux workstations.
- Expand use of encryption and secure wireless on campus laptops and other devices that require additional security.
- Work to bring the campus into compliance with the University Policy on Securing Private Data, Computers, and Other Electronic Devices.
- Establish a logging service for servers, and offer this service to the campus.
- Encourage migration of department-owned servers to secure ITSS virtual server space.
- Exercise and update operational continuity plan.
- Complete annual security review of critical applications.
- Automate processes for responding to reports of security problems or inappropriate use of computers on the UMD network.
- Collaborate with the Office of Information Technology to implement the Sandvine solution for improved network security management.
Improve Campus Infrastructure
- Improve high-speed connectivity to the Internet and to remote campus locations.
- Establish UMD as an anchor tenant for a regional fiber optic hub, and promote expansion of regional networks that serve our students. [UMD-SP 6.2]
- Lead the campus to more efficient use of server equipment and facilities. Encourage the use of virtual servers, energy-saving solutions, and shared data center and server rooms.
- Improve disaster recovery by implementing new virtual server backup and recovery systems.
- Replace the campus card solution for multiple services, including printing.
- Adapt Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes for use at UMD ITSS to improve response to incidents and problems and manage change more effectively.
- Participate in the University-wide identity management project, including conversion of ITSS authentication systems.
- Participate in all campus renovation and building projects: Montague Hall.
- Invest in UMD infrastructure and communication upgrades to more actively promote the athletic, recreational, and cultural opportunities available on and off campus. [UMD-SP 6.6]
Improve Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Continually review and revise ITSS staff handbook. Regularly review all ITSS policies.
- Reallocate staff and equipment resources from email services to web, database, security, and programming services following the campus conversion to Google Apps.
- Reallocate staff and equipment resources from Novell services to Active Directory services following the campus conversion to Active Directory.
- Hire replacement staff.
- Emphasize social justice to support recruitment, retention, and support of ITSS staff and student employees. [UMD-SP 2.2]
- Continue to improve the ITSS physical environment, policies, and services to better demonstrate our commitment to inclusiveness and social justice. Emphasize the value of information technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.6]
- Build community and respect within the ITSS staff.
- Encourage staff training and professional development.
- Provide a working environment for staff that encourages them to remain employed at ITSS.
- Continue to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment for staff.
Participate in Campus Life
- Guide and enhance the use of technology across the UMD community.
- Maintain strong collaboration and coordination between IT staff within UMD units, ITSS, and University of Minnesota technology units.
- Meet and coordinate activities with our campus partners.
- Contribute to campus governance and activities by serving on committees, task forces, commissions, etc.
- Contribute to campus sustainability efforts. [UMD-SP 6.8 and 6.9]
- Review the IT landscape for useful emerging technologies.
- Implement shared software distribution methods for student-owned computers.
- Research cyber-infrastructure needs for campus researchers.