General Purpose (GP) Classrooms
UMD Audiovisual supports 87 general purpose classrooms, including a majority of the large lecture halls on Campus.
General Purpose classrooms contain the following equipment:
- LCD Projector or Flat Panel Display
- Projection Screen
- Boundary Microphone
- Document Camera
- Wireless Presentation Capabilities
Classroom User Guides
- Boundary Microphones:
Each General Purpose Classroom contains a boundary microphone with a 25' 180° cone for picking up the spoken word. This is a big upgrade from a laptops' built-in microphone. People speaking outside of 25' 180° cone range will be faint or unheard by Zoom participants. This is a technical limitation that will limit your ability to move freely around the classroom while being heard by all students.
The podium microphone is connected to your laptop via a USB cable labeled "Microphone". You will have to adjust your microphone settings on the device to make the boundary microphone the primary recording device
- Document Cameras:
Document cameras are standard equipment in general-purpose classrooms. The document camera is best used for writing on paper and can be excellent alternatives to using a whiteboard. Document Cameras can be:
Used as a primary camera by connecting to via USB cable,
Or, by plugging HDMI Cable directly into the back of the Document Camera as shown in the following image:
- Hooking Up and Using a Laptop
- Wireless Presentation
- Playing a DVD
General Purpose Classroom Video Tutorials
- Audio Video (AV) Set up in UMD General Purpose Classrooms (3 Minute Video with Captions)
- AV Set up in General Purpose Classroom Tutorial (3 Minute Video with Audio Description)
Lecture Hall User Guides
Lecture Hall Video Tutorials
- AV Set up for UMD Lecture Halls (3:53 Minute Video with Captions)
- AV Set up for UMD Lecture Halls (3:53 Minute Video with Audio Description)
Active Learning Classroom User Guides
What Equipment is in My Classroom?
- For a description of classroom equipment in a specific room, please refer to Duluth Campus Astra Schedule.
- For support on using Astra and any software questions, please email [email protected].
- TechCenter Classroom Equipment Checkout
- Chromebooks, Chromebook carts, projectors, miscellaneous Audio Visual (AV) equipment (speakers, cabling, extension cord reels, etc.) are available.
- Multimedia Hub Equipment Checkout
- Video equipment such as cameras, tripods, Mac adapters, and other equipment are also available.
If you have any special AV equipment needs, please email [email protected] for a consultation.