General Purpose (GP) Classrooms
UMD Audiovisual supports 87 general-purpose classrooms, including a majority of the large lecture halls on Campus.
General Purpose classrooms contain the following equipment:
- LCD Projector or Flat Panel Display
- Projection Screen
- Boundary Microphone
- Document Camera
- Wireless Presentation Capabilities
- Used as a primary camera by connecting to via USB cable,
Or, by plugging HDMI Cable directly into the back of the Document Camera as shown in the following image:
- Audio Video (AV) Set up in UMD General Purpose Classrooms (3 Minute Video with Captions)
- AV Set up in General Purpose Classroom Tutorial (3 Minute Video with Audio Description)
- AV Set up for UMD Lecture Halls (3:53 Minute Video with Captions)
- AV Set up for UMD Lecture Halls (3:53 Minute Video with Audio Description)
- For a description of classroom equipment in a specific room, please refer to Duluth Campus Astra Schedule.
- For support on using Astra and any software questions, please email [email protected].
- TechCenter Classroom Equipment Checkout
- Chromebooks, Chromebook carts, projectors, miscellaneous Audio Visual (AV) equipment (speakers, cabling, extension cord reels, etc.) are available.
- Multimedia Hub Equipment Checkout
- Video equipment such as cameras, tripods, Mac adapters, and other equipment are also available.
Each General Purpose Classroom contains a boundary microphone with a 25' 180° cone for picking up the spoken word. This is a big upgrade from a laptops' built-in microphone. People speaking outside of 25' 180° cone range will be faint or unheard by Zoom participants. This is a technical limitation that will limit your ability to move freely around the classroom while being heard by all students.
The podium microphone is connected to your laptop via a USB cable labeled "Microphone". You will have to adjust your microphone settings on the device to make the boundary microphone the primary recording device
Document cameras are standard equipment in general-purpose classrooms. The document camera is best used for writing on paper and can be excellent alternatives to using a whiteboard. Document Cameras can be:
Classroom User Guides
GP Classroom Video Tutorials
Lecture Hall User Guides
Lecture Hall Video Tutorials
Active Learning Classroom User Guides
What Equipment is in My Classroom?
If you have any special AV equipment needs, please email [email protected] for a consultation.