- Obtain the keys
- Turn on the classroom technology control system
- Press the "LAPTOP" or "SOURCE" on the control panel
- Connect the cables and turn on your computer
- Select the program you wish to use or authenticate to the network if using ethernet
- Adjust the sound, if needed
- Disconnect the cables, when you are finished
- Turn off the system
- Close and lock the equipment cabinet or podium doors
1. Obtain the keys
The equipment cabinet key may be requested by departments or by faculty teaching in this room. Classroom keys and building master keys do not open these locks. Departments with faculty or staff needing access to the AV /computer equipment may want to have a key in their department office available for checkout. Or faculty and staff who make frequent use of classroom equipment may want to request a key for their personal use. In either case, a key request card must be completed, signed by the Dean or Department Head, and delivered to Facilities Management Key Shop. " AV Cabinets" must be printed at the top of the card to specify that the requested key is for the equipment cabinet and not for the room itself. A separate key request card for the room must be completed to obtain a room key.
2. Turn on the classroom technology control system
General purpose classrooms are equipped with a control system panel that eliminates most individual remote controls and power switches. A.V. equipment is located in the equipment cabinet or podium at the front of the room. The control panel is usually located on top of the cabinet or podium.
Press the "ON" or "ON/OFF" button for the projector that you want to use.
The projector will begin warming up. After two to three minutes the projector will be ready for use.
3. Press the "LAPTOP" or "SOURCE" on the control panel
4. Connect the cables and turn on your computer
Laptop computer connection cables are located on top of the A.V. equipment cabinet/podium.
- Attach the computer cable to the VGA/monitor connector on your computer. Note: Some computers do not automatically turn on their external video port when a secondary display such as a projector is connected. Some Macs require special cables. Refer to your computer manual for details. Also if you are connecting an older Macintosh that does not have a 15-pin connector, you must use a Mac adapter.
- Plug in the EtherNet cable (optional) An Ethernet cable is bundled with the other cables. It is labeled "EtherNet" Plug the EtherNet cable into the modular connector on your laptop. You will also need to authenticate after you are set up.
- Plug in the sound cable (optional)
- Press the "POWER" button on your laptop
5. Select the program you wish to use or authenticate to the network if using ethernet
To use programs like PowerPoint and others on your computer, operate it as you normally would.
However, in order to use the network connection in this room you must first authenticate. This is necessary to ensure that only authorized people (University of Minnesota faculty, staff, and students) have access to our network.
- Launch your web browser.
- You should be automatically taken to a web page that will ask you for your internet ID (email) username and password.
- For privacy press the button labeled " blank " on the classroom control system panel then type in your X.500 username and password.
6. Adjust the sound, if needed
Press the "VOLUME UP" button to increases the sound.
Press the "VOLUME DOWN" button to decrease the sound.
Press the "MUTE" button to cut the sound. Press it a second time to restore the sound.
7. Disconnect the cables, when you are finished
- Disconnect your EtherNet cable from the modular connector on your computer, (if you used this option).
- Unplug the sound cable from your laptop (if you used this option).
- Disconnect the computer cable from your laptop.
8. Turn off the system
Press the "OFF" or "ON/OFF" button to turn off the system.
The projector lamp will turn off. Approximately one second after that the, lamp will be cooled for about a minute. Then the system will be completely shut off.
9. Close and lock the equipment cabinet or podium doors
Close and lock the doors using the equipment key. Please double check to make sure that it is locked.