June 22, 2020 Update: The TechCenter remains closed to customers due to restricted operations and limited staffing. However, ITSS will resume staffing for the Help Desk phone and will expand computer maintenance services.
Help Desk phone is staffed: The Help Desk phone (218-726-8847) will be staffed during regular business hours (8:00-4:30 Monday through Friday). Please note that we will have only one person staffing the phone, so if you call and get a busy signal, we ask that you leave a voice mail message and we'll return your call as soon as we are able. You may also open a help desk ticket by sending an email to [email protected].
Remote staff will continue to actively monitor all Help Desk requests during regular business hours and will contact you as soon as possible. In place of on-site visits, we will be utilizing remote support tools such as Bomgar Beyond Trust, Hangouts, or Zoom.
Computer maintenance services expanded: We are returning to regular business hours for computer maintenance service hours for University-owned devices. Services provided include:
- New computer consultation/ordering
- Computer imaging and setup for Active Directory (Windows) or Jamf (Mac)
- Computer repairs for University devices (both warranty and on-site)
- Virus/malware removal for University devices
Service is currently by appointment only as the TechCenter remains closed to customers. Device pickup/drop off is completed at the UMD Mail Room. Please call the ITSS Help Desk for details or to schedule service.
Technical Support: Call-in, Walk-in and Check-in
The ITSS TechCenter in Kirby Plaza 165 combines our services for Help Desk, technical support, computer repair, equipment checkout, and classroom and computer lab support into one area. The TechCenter is open during University business hours and extended evening hours during the semester (see TechCenter Hours for details).
The TechCenter provides three types of technical support:
- Call-in service: 218-726-8847
- The TechCenter HelpDesk staff are ready to take your calls! Call to report any type of technology problem - if they can't fix it while you're on the phone, they'll ticket it and an ITSS staff person will get back to you. Call-in service is available 24x7, but may be limited in scope when the TechCenter is closed.
- Walk-in service: KPLz 165
- Free 15-minute front counter support for basic technology questions and services, provided to anyone with a valid University ID / email account.
- account or password issues
- email problems
- virus/spyware self-service scans (tools provided to customer and customer runs scan)
- mobile computing questions
- basic software questions
- initial hardware diagnostics
- computer or game console registration
- advice on computer purchases
- wireless assistance
- Check-in service: KPLz 165
- Fee-based computer repair service for more advanced problems that require more than 15 minutes to resolve and/or require special diagnostic tools or hardware repairs. Available for current students, faculty or staff.
- virus/spyware removal (scans run by ITSS staff)
- OS upgrade or reinstall
- all hardware upgrades or repairs
- all warranty repair work (Apple, HP and CPS)
- data backup and restore
- secure data deletion (required before disposing of University-owned computers)
- data recovery from damaged hard drives
- Call for an estimate or see TechCenter Service Tiers & Rates for our current rates and services.