There are currently 3 options for having your courses evaluated by your students, depending on whether your course is face-to-face or hybrid, or completely online. Those options are listed below.
Currently, UMD does not have an approved method for conducting course evaluations for face-to-face courses using an online, electronic form. For more information, including the questions on the evaluation forms, please visit the VCAA Student Evaluation page.
Online Course Evaluations
Starting Spring 2019, all courses designated in the Instruction Mode field as Completely Online will be evaluated using the eXplorance Blue online course evaluation tool through the Office of Measurement Services (OMS) in the Twin Cities. Visit the Completely Online Course Evaluation page for more information.
Evaluations will be conducted during the last two weeks of classes for the Fall and Spring terms, ending on the last day of classes.
Face to Face or Hybrid Course Evaluations
ITSS uses a scanning program called Remark to process student evaluations.Evaluation forms and cover sheets can be dropped off and picked up in the ITSS office, 386 Kirby Plaza during the following times:
|Monday||8:00 AM to noon and 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM|
|Tuesday||8:00 AM to Noon and 2:00 PM to 4:30 PM|
|Wednesday||8:00 AM to noon and 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM|
|Thursday||8:00 AM to noon and 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM|
|Friday||8:00 AM to noon and 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM|
Two Potential Snags and How to Avoid Them
Because student evaluations forms are used for tenure, promotion and salary decisions in addition to reviewing and improving teaching, we feel that it is essential to give you the most accurate results possible. There are some things that need to be done to make the scanning process of these forms run smoothly and accurately. Please be aware of two potential snags and how to avoid them.
1. Course Call Numbers
There are many instances where courses with different or multiple instructors have the same course call number. This does not allow our system to put the correct information on the evaluation reports when there is more than one possible answer. Because we want to give you accurate results, and until this issue can be resolved, we are going to provide you with call numbers to use for each course. *Please consult F2019 Eval Call # to locate your call numbers as the numbers in PeopleSoft/registration will not pull the correct information.*
2. Teaching Assistants Not Listed in PeopleSoft
If you need evaluations for your Teaching Assistants (TAs), please add your information to the F2019 TA Evals in the requested format, and we will do our best to get the reports to provide you with the information you need. This is necessary because TAs are not listed in PeopleSoft.
- Please fill out the entire cover sheet using the Call # we’ve provided in the Call # field.
- Use a pencil as the scanner cannot read pen.
- Arrange evaluations in alphabetical order by last name (A's starting on the top of the pile), please not in numeric order. Reports print in alpha order.
- TA evals should be merged with faculty evaluations in your alphabetized stack.
- Please, no envelopes! This increases processing time dramatically.
- Please do not bring evaluations until after Finals week, we do not have room to store them.
- Plan ahead for tenure reviews: Please note, both verbally and with a noticeable flag, any evaluations you need soon. Otherwise scanning will be done as it fits around the regular ITSS office calendar. They are difficult to locate once the office is filled with thousands of evaluations!
*** DO NOT separate these evaluations from the alphabetized stack.
- Only one answer is allowed per question; multiple answers are considered "blank" and will skew results.
- No stray marks can be on the form except in the provided spaces. This includes numbers written in the top of the cover sheets – the sheet won’t read and your number will be erased, or the evaluations will be returned undone. You can write a number after the instructor’s name if needed.
- Remove any blank evaluations as a blank sheet will skew the instructor's report average.
- Duplicate report requests need to come from faculty and a fee will be accessed.
- Do not retain a stockpile of evaluations because the form may change slightly in the future.
Please provide the ITSS provided course call number on the cover sheet (see links in sections 1 & 2 above). This is the only way we can guarantee that the information you need (Instructor, course name...) are on the printed evaluation reports. Please contact Karen Haedtke: [email protected], 726-7751 with questions.