Internet IDs (and the corresponding email account) are automatically generated for all new employees as soon as appointment information is entered into Peoplesoft.
Here is the more detailed process:
- The hiring unit completes appointment documents and sends them to UMD Human Resources & Equal Opportunity (UMD HR&EO, 255 DAdB) for faculty and staff.
- UMD HR&EO will enter the appointment into PeopleSoft as quickly as possible.
- After the appointment is in PeopleSoft, an Internet ID and email account will be automatically generated, usually within 24 hours.
- As soon as the new faculty or staff member appears in the People Directory, the new employee may initiate the email account by calling the ITSS Help Desk at 726-8847 to obtain a temporary password for email. This also enables access to other University systems, such as Moodle or UM reports.
- The new employee has 24 hours to change that temporary password to a permanent password. Temporary passwords that are not changed will expire.
Please be aware that faculty or staff who are hired late should be counseled that we’ll do our best, but they will just have to wait for the process to complete.
Thanks for your help in ensuring that new employees get the access they need as quickly as possible.
Please use the following link for more details: Internet Accounts & Passwords