The University of Minnesota provides Duo Security to help students, faculty, and staff protect themselves and the University against cybercrime.
Duo Security (multi-factor authentication) is required at UMN Sign-In pages. The Sign-In page is the University’s gateway to applications such as MyU, G Suite (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, etc.) Canvas, and many others.
By requiring you to verify your identity with a device, Duo adds another layer of security in front of the information, accounts, and assets you access online (even in the event your password is stolen). Once enrolled, you will be able to deny access to your accounts (on your Duo-enrolled device) if someone else is trying to sign in as you.
The University requires the use of Duo for current students, faculty, and staff, and users with sponsored and person-of-interest (POI) accounts.
How does Duo work?
When you visit a secured UMN application:
- you provide something you know: Your UMN Internet ID and password
you verify who you are with something you have (your smartphone, tablet, or cell phone)
To see the Duo app in action, watch this 43-second video.
Got a question?
For detailed instructions on how to use Duo, see: Duo Security
We're also here to answer your questions about the Duo security process. Call or email the ITSS Help Desk (x8847, [email protected]) with any questions you may have.
- I heard that everyone has to use Duo for their account starting November 1! Is this true?
- No, you won’t be required to enroll until your password expires. This will occur sometime between November 1, 2018, and November 1, 2019. You’ll start receiving emails two weeks before your password expires that will have the full details on how to reset your password and enroll. And you can always call the Help Desk for assistance!
- What do I do if I don’t have a smartphone or don’t want to install the Duo app on my phone?
- The easiest and most reliable way to access Duo is by using the app on your smartphone. The app works even without cell phone data coverage or WiFi! If you don't have a smartphone or don’t want to install the app, a regular cell phone number or your office landline will also work. Learn more about your Duo device options at z.umn.edu/DeviceOptions
- My password is already complicated! Now I have to remember a new password AND use Duo?!
- The good news is that passwords will be replaced by passphrases that are easier to remember and never expire! After November 1, you will select a passphrase that is longer (16+ characters) but less complex (must include 1 uppercase and 1 lowercase letter). For example, your pass phrase could be Cheese is the best food. Or My favorite number is 2890! Go ahead - get creative!
- I already have a Duo token - do I need to get a new one?
- Nope! You can continue to use your current Duo token as long as you wish.
- I already have a device enrolled in Duo - do I need to do anything else?
- You’re good for now! Two weeks before your password is set to expire, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to reset your password to a new 16+ character passphrase.
- What happens if my password expires when I’m on vacation/off campus/traveling to another country?
- You have options! After you reset your password, you have 7 days to enroll a device in Duo.