You are here
eGradebook Decommissioning and Transition Plan
UMD ITSS has offered eGradebook to faculty, staff and students for almost 20 years. eGradebook has been approaching end-of-life status for some time and has been reviewed for decommissioning and replacement. ITSS considered decommissioning eGradebook when UMN transitioned from WebVista to Moodle over a decade ago and again during subsequent Moodle gradebook updates. Unfortunately, each version of the Moodle gradebook did not prove to be an adequate replacement.
When UMN began transitioning from Moodle to Canvas two academic years ago, the task of decommissioning eGradebook and finding an accompanying replacement was revisited. The replacement review process was accelerated because eGradebook has been plagued with recurring data feed problems and its legacy code structure presents challenges in ongoing maintenance and updates. In addition, because less than 15% of course sections are represented in eGradebook, and UMN is already providing a reliable, accessible and modern gradebook within Canvas, ITSS has decided to decommission eGradebook.
eGradebook to Canvas Gradebook Migration Assistance
If you are an instructor who uses eGradebook and would like assistance migrating eGradebook(s) to Canvas, please complete the eGradebook to Canvas Assistance Form and note the decommission deadlines.
Instructors who have never used or are no longer using eGradebook will not need to do anything.
eGradebook Decommission Deadlines
- On Friday, August 16, 2019, eGradebook will be decommissioned and gradebooks will be archived.
- Instructors can continue to use eGradebook through the Summer 2019 term.
- No new eGradebooks can be created for Fall 2019.
While no new eGradebooks can be created after Summer 2019 term, Fall 2007 through Summer 2019 eGradebooks will remain accessible on the eGradebook server.
eGradebook to Canvas Gradebook Comparison
While the Canvas gradebook is not a carbon copy of eGradebook, it offers a number of benefits to instructors and students:
- Connection to PeopleSoft ensures secure, real-time update of student data.
- Instructors can set-up their gradebook(s) months in advance, including multi-section course gradebooks.
- Ability to send final grades directly from Canvas to PeopleSoft/MyU Students will have one primary location for electronic grades.
- Functionality that can increase efficiencies with grading processes Modern, updated w/ on-going development cycles.
A more detailed comparison of eGradebook and Canvas Gradebook features will be coming soon.
Questions? Please contact Kara Hanson, Manager of Academic Technology.