Please stress the following to your students at test time:
- Use a #2 pencil and make careful erasures. Do not cross out mistakes. Erase but make sure you do not smudge. The machine may not read forms with bubbles filled in with X’s, lines, light pencil marks, or bubbles that are overfilled (stay within the lines). Incomplete erasures and smudges can lead to questions marked incorrect.
- Please do not use ink - ink can lead to damage to the scanner and/or incorrect scoring of the exams.
- Please fill in the name and identification number (student id) areas. (A through G on the blue bubble sheet under identification number – fill in the circles).
- Do not leave blanks - there is no penalty for guessing. (Even if you, the instructor, know at test time that you wish to omit a question, have the students fill in "e" or some other choice, but do not have them leave it blank, please). Blank answers are not reviewed to see if there was, indeed, a mark.
- Fill the space in completely.
Information for the professor to prepare exam for scoring:
ITSS uses Remark scanning software to score Scantron exams. Please note the following procedures:
- Completed answer sheets must all be facing the same direction. When multiple versions of exams are used, you must separate versions and provide an answer key for each version.
- Student ID must be printed, and bubbles filled in and accurate. If a student puts the wrong or incomplete ID, then whatever they entered in that field and the name field will be on the report. You will need to manually update the exam files as it will not happen automatically.
- We cannot gift points based on percentage. You can still gift a question, but it must be noted on the cover sheet.
- If you give extra credit points you will have to adjust your gradebook to reflect this. For example: If you have a 50 point test with 5 extra questions for a total of 55, then the exam needs to be worth 50 points in your gradebook, while your cover sheet will reflect that there are 55 questions on the test.
- Point values can be to a 10th of a point (1.2, .8, 5.6), but they cannot go up to a hundredth of a point (1.66, .75).
- You must specify whether a student must pick multiple answers for a question to be graded as correct. If not specified, ITSS will assume keys with multiple answers are "either/or" questions.
- ITSS will strive for a 3-day turnaround on exams, and when we are able we will continue to turn them around faster than that.
For more information please contact Karen Haedtke: [email protected], 726-7751