Managed Drupal Service
Web Hosting & Content Management
You are here
Drupal Services at UMD
ITSS manages a hosted Drupal service for the UMD campus as part of the University's Enterprise Drupal service. The UMD hosted service is tailored to meet the branding and themes for UMD, as established by University Marketing and Public Relations.
Do you want to migrate your University website to Drupal? Follow these easy steps.
- Determine who will be your point person for the website migration.
- Contact the Drupal Migration Team to inquire about migration.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an initial consultation on migrating your site to Drupal
- Review your current website and plan for your Drupal site.
After your initial consultation, we will work with you to schedule a content inventory/information architecture.
- Build your migration plan and start migrating!
You and your migration liaison will work out a migration plan and start to build out the site.
Initial Drupal training is offered from University Training Technology serviced in the Twin Cities. They offer a variety of courses for preparing, migrating, and managing your site using the University's Enterprise Drupal service. UMD web developers are strongly encouraged to take these classes as a pre-requisite for moving your site into Drupal. For details and to register, see: IT@UMN: Drupal Courses
Additionally, ITSS staff offer the following on-site training:
- Website Information Architecture Workshop: Offered to departments who are planning to move an existing UMD site into Drupal. ITSS staff will demonstrate a quick and easy way to create a site map and navigation flow chart, the first step for your site's migration to the new platform. In this training we'll demonstrate a low tech approach to gathering your current pages, re-organizing it into a new structure, and converting it to a format that can be shared with a larger group. Contact the ITSS TechCenter HelpDesk to request this workshop.
- UMD Drupal Site Development: Once your department site has been initiated in Drupal, ITSS staff will provide hands-on, onsite training that is geared specifically to your site and our UMD Drupal instance. This high-level, technical training session is intended for staff who have prior web development experience and want to learn best practices for the UMD Drupal sites.
- Contributing Content to a UMD Drupal Website: This training covers the basic skills needed to add content to a UMD website that has been created in Drupal. The training session is intended for users that will be adding or editing content to their new Drupal web site. Topics include adding new pages, editing existing pages, formatting text, working with images, and adding links.
- Drupal Users Group: Working group for anyone who will be adding or updating content on an existing Drupal site. We offer training, support, and advice to one another as we all learn the ins and outs of UMD Drupal. For more information see: z.umn.edu/drupalusers.
- Drupal Tech Group: Working group of UMD Drupal site administrators who meet on a semi-regular basis to discuss technical issues and best practices. For more information see: z.umn.edu/drupaltech.
University units moving to Drupal are able to hire consultants through University-wide contracts. If you are considering hiring a consultant to design and/or build your Drupal site, please talk to ITSS staff before you begin. The University's version of Drupal is a fairly customized version and there are many variances in structure and functionality that consultants will need to know. If you are considering this option, please contact ITSS.
Additional training, self-help guides, and tools: