You are here
Student Response Systems - Classroom Clickers for Students
Classroom Clickers for Students
As of Fall 2016 UMD supports the TurningPoint Cloud (TPC) student response system.
Clicker Information for Students
Instructors may require a clicker device, a mobile device or allow either option as a response device in their class. Refer to your syllabus or wait for the first day of class for directions from your instructor.
Students are required to purchase a Turning Account license to participate in TurningPoint Cloud sessions. An account license must be purchased if the student is using a mobile device (ResponseWare) or a clicker. 1-year and 4-year stand-alone licenses and clicker/license packages are available at the UMD Bookstore. At this time, you cannot purchase a Turning Account online.
Used clickers can be used with TurningPoint Cloud. Look for RF-02 or later models to ensure compatibility.
Instructors will provide a link in Moodle or Canvas for students to register their Turning Account.
- Log into Moodle or Canvas
- Navigate to the course in which you are using TurningPoint Cloud.
- Click the link for Turning Account Registration.
Note: You may be directed to enter your NetID and password. Sign-on to continue.
- Enter the required fields to complete registration.
- If you have a device ID and/or a license code enter them in the appropriate box and click Register and/or Redeem. You can return to your Turning Account and update this information at a later time.
- If all information has been successfully entered you will have a green checkmark under the icons EXCEPT UMD students will NOT have the Learning Management System icon checked. If you followed at least one Turning Account Registration link from Moodle, you will be registered in your course and show up in the participant list.
- Click Finish.
Using a Clicker in Class
TIP: Periodically check your clicker to be sure the battery is good. Batteries typically last 1 year. Batteries can be purchased at the UMD Bookstore.
Changing the Channel
Your instructor will give you a channel number for your class session. If you are using ResponseCard LT, RF-02 or RF-03 clicker:
- Press the Channel, CH or GO button
Enter the two-digit channel number. i.e. 07 or
Press the Channel, CH or GO button. A green flash indicates the channel was successfully changed.
NOTE: A red flash indicates that the response was not received. Multiple yellow flashes indicate that the response is sending.
To respond to a question prompt
- Push the letter or number (as indicated on the presentation slide) that represents your answer.
- If your clicker has an LCD window you should see your selection displayed
Using ResponseWare in Class
(using a personal mobile device instead of a clicker)
If your instructor allows a mobile device as an option to a clicker, you will need to download the ResponseWare App.
- Once you have created your Turning Account and redeemed your license, you can follow the below to use your Mobile device.
- Download the ResponseWare App. The ResponseWare App is available on the iTunes App Store and on Google Play.
- The ResponseWare app allows users to leverage personal response devices in class to easily submit data to presenters.
- Alternately, you can also join a ResponseWare session in any web browser by following this link: https://responseware.com (links to external site)
Learn more in the ResponseWare User Guide.
University of Minnesota TurningPoint Cloud Overview Information (links to external site)
- Canvas for TurningPoint Students (links to external site)
Moodle for TurningPoint Cloud Students (links to external site)
Turning Technologies Customer Service
Hours: 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST
A student support site is available to assist students with Turning Account creation as well as registering their device and redeeming their license codes. Visit: http://turningtech.info for more details.
Recycling Used Clickers
If you no longer need your clicker device, ITSS can return it to Turning Technologies to be recycled. Feel free to drop it off at the TechCenter (165 Kirby Plaza), and we will take care of it from there.