There are many tools and resources you might be asked to use as a student at the University. Some of them are broad, like our Course Management System, Moodle, and some are very project-specific, like Kaltura (a video and screen capture tool inside of Moodle). ITSS provides student support for installing and using these technologies in your courses. If your instructors are using technology not on this list, support may be limited. You are always welcome to stop by the TechCenter at 165 Kirby Plaza, or call or email the Helpdesk at 218-726-8847 or [email protected] for assistance. Please include your instructor's name and your class name and number.
The University of Minnesota uses Canvas as it's official Learning Management System (LMS). You can access Canvas by going to canvas.umn.edu.
Canvas Assignment Tools
Within Canvas, there are several other tools available that your instructor may or may not use. The University has documentation about how these tools work at the following links:
- TurningPoint Cloud Clickers (only available in Moodle for Fall 2017)
- Kaltura (used for video and screen capture assignments)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (used for secured online test taking)
- Turnitin (used to check for plagarism on written documents)
In addition to the tools in Canvas, there are various other software, tools, and websites available to students. Here are some of the more commonly used ones:
- YouTube (used to store and share videos, or broadcast live video)
- SPSS (used in statistical analysis)
- LinkedIn Learning (a vast repository of how-to videos on various topics. For example: Excel formulas, Adobe Photoshop, Writing for the Web, etc)