You are here
Work for ITSS
Current Job Openings
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of related work experience OR a comparable combination of education, training, and experience.
- Minimum of one year of GNU/Linux (Debian) system administration experience, including working knowledge in setup, maintenance, and security of systems.
- Experience with programming or scripting languages such as bash, python, perl, or similar.
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively in teams.
Experience with, or knowledge of, one or more of the following:
- Common configuration management tools such as Puppet
- Virtualization infrastructure such as VMware
- Networking concepts, protocols, and services
- Ability to work with and build consensus with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Experience working with a change management process.
- Interest in learning and applying new technologies.
Job Responsibilities and Percent of Job
GNU/Linux System Administration 50%
- Monitor, maintain, and upgrade unix servers
- Provide documentation and training for central system services
- Provide primary support for GNU/Linux printing service
- Serve as backup support for system security
- Provide backup support for server management utilities
- Other special system services
- Provide special projects as requested
- Provide systems programming support
Customer Interaction 10%
- Handle Tier 2 / 3 service requests
- Support faculty / staff
Member of Systems Team 10%
- Participate in team activities
- Provide general technical support and perform other work-related duties as assigned
- Promote a non-discriminatory environment
Staff Development 10%
- Staff meeting
- Professional development activities such as training, conferences, and continued education
- Keep current with University of Minnesota policies and guidelines
*The employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.*
This is a 100%, 12 month P&A position, Minimum starting salary is $59,934.68. Actual salary commensurate with experience. Anticipated start date is November 18, 2019.
Applications will be accepted until September 16, 2019.
Complete applications must include:
Cover letter addressing the qualifications.
Current Curriculum Vitae or Resume
Contact information for three professional references, one of which must have been a supervisor.
Applications must be submitted online. To apply for this position, go to http://www1.umn.edu/ohr/employment/ and search for job opening 332768. Click on the job title to view the job details and application instructions.
The cover letter and CV/resume will be attached during the application process. First submit the application and then return to the “My Activities” page to attach the additional documents.
Any offer of employment contingent upon successful completion of a background check, a degree verification and employment verification.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
Smoking, chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds and University vehicles.
If you have started receiving retirement annuity payments from the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS) or Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) your eligibility for this position may be impacted. Please contact UM Benefits at 1-800-756-2363 for any eligibility limitations.
Information Technology Systems and Services (ITSS) delivers outstanding technology services to the University of Minnesota Duluth campus. Our staff have technical expertise, adaptability, a focus on customers, and a commitment to process improvement. We provide professional support for UMD students, staff, and faculty in the following areas:
- Application and database development
- Computer labs
- Computer maintenance and repair
- Course management
- Data centers
- Enterprise applications
- General software
- Instructional technology
- IT Help Desk
- Mobile technologies
- Personal computers
- Network infrastructure
- Online learning
- Servers and virtualization
- Systems administration
- Web services
The University of Minnesota Duluth is the second largest campus in the University of Minnesota system, enrolling more than 11,000 students, including 1,000+ graduate and professional students. Our campus consists of more than 50 buildings on 244 acres overlooking Lake Superior.
UMD is home to the Tweed Museum of Art, the Marshall W. Alworth Planetarium, Weber Music Hall, the Marshall Performing Arts Center, Glensheen Historic Estate, Minnesota Sea Grant, the Natural Resources Research Institute, and the Large Lakes Observatory.
In addition to cutting edge research and academic excellence, UMD is known for its NCAA Division I Men’s and Women's Ice Hockey Teams, and its other NCAA Division II athletic teams. The UMD Men's Hockey Team has won several championships, two of which are from 2018 and 2019.
Located on the north shore of Lake Superior, Duluth is the fourth largest city in Minnesota. Together with Superior, Wisconsin, we form an area known as the Twin Ports, supporting a regional population of nearly 280,000. As one of the largest international ports in the world, Duluth is known for shipping and as a commercial and manufacturing center. In addition to industry, Duluth is a regional hub for health care, education, aviation, technology, and is a top tourist destination.
Duluth offers big city amenities with a small town feel. In Duluth, there are a multitude of cultural activities along with many museums, restaurants, premier craft breweries, theatre and dance companies, shows and fairs, and the Great Lakes Aquarium. Duluth also has a bustling music scene with local festivals/venues such as Homegrown Music Festival and Bayfront Festival Park.
With 26 miles of scenic rocky shoreline, Duluth is one of the best outdoor cities in the US. Activities such as mountain biking, surfing, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, rock climbing, and kayaking/canoeing are all enjoyed within the city limits. Duluth is also known for its proximity to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Voyageurs National Park, Isle Royale National Park, several Minnesota State Parks, and the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
Don't spend your life sitting in traffic. Why simply vacation in Duluth? Wake up to Lake Superior every day!
Learn more at Destination Duluth.