Application development and support services designs, develops, and supports applications for campus units to meet their specific business needs. The applications that can be requested include web applications, mobile applications, and sometimes standalone applications. The Services includes working with customers defining business requirements, designing and developing the code, testing the code, deploying to production, and maintaining and supporting the application operation.
ITSS uses an agile practice named Scrum to manage the application design and development process. The practice has frequent Sprint planning and reviews between the development team and customers, i.e. product owners, to clearly prototype and define what customers expect, absorb customers inputs and changes as early as possible, and provide early phase testing opportunities to solicit customers feedback and familiarize them with the final product.
Application development and support services provides the following:
- Help customer define and document needs and requirements
- Design and code the application
- Help customer define and perform test cases
- Environment setup and deployment
- Maintain and support the application in compliance with the University of Minnesota Information Security Policy
Collegiate and administrative units from Duluth and other system campuses.
- Application development and support services will be available during normal working hours.
- Service requests and issues will be responded to in 1-2 business days.
- Planned outages will be communicated to application owners in advance.
ITSS will provide a no-cost estimate following initial project consultation and analysis.
Application owners will be charged at the ITSS Consulting/Programming rate for the actual amount of time worked on application development up to the maximum estimated cost. Requests for enhancements outside of the original scope of a project will be charged additionally.
Each application will be charged quarterly to cover the cost of ongoing maintenance. Application owners will receive an annual maintenance estimate to assist with budgetary planning.
Some examples of our required maintenance tasks are listed below.
- Monitor software and dependencies for security vulnerabilities
- Apply security patches in a timely manner
- Monitor software and dependencies for uptime and bugs
- Apply bug fixes in a timely manner
- Troubleshoot and resolve reported issues
- Upgrade programming languages, frameworks, dependencies, and databases to supported versions
- Adhere to all UMN and UMD governing policies and practices
Please visit Application Development to get started.
Name: Kevin Wu
Email: [email protected]