You are here
Policy: University of Minnesota Duluth
UMD digital signs are to be reviewed and approved by UMD administration before being purchased and installed. The content must be managed through the centralized software system provided by the University of Minnesota Classroom Tech Services (CTS), to support our campus need for emergency notification. UMD Facilities Management must be consulted for location, placement, and building code review. UMD Information Technology Systems and Services (ITSS) will provide technology consulting services.
Departments currently using other forms of digital signs should move toward converting existing systems to use the centralized CTS management system to support our campus need for emergency notification.
Units requesting a digital sign are responsible for all costs and are encouraged to consider our campus carbon footprint when determining whether a digital sign is truly a good investment.
- Use a centralized management system to enable use of signs for emergency announcements.
- Standardize infrastructure to simplify support.
- Share infrastructure between campus units to reduce overall campus costs.
- Ensure that installation is appropriate and meets building code regulations.
- Support thoughtful choices that take into account the campus carbon footprint.
Complete this approval form to begin the process before proceeding with purchase and installation. Once the project is approved:
- UM Classroom Technical Services (CTS - Twin Cities campus) will provide a centralized system for managing the layout and content of the signs.
- Contact CTS Design & Installation for pricing and details.
- UMD Facilities Management will be the campus contact for any unit wishing to install digital signage. Facilities Management will coordinate the installation work, ensure that the sign meets building code requirements, and address power needs.
- Submit a work request form to Facilities Management to begin this process.
- UMD Information Technology Systems and Services (ITSS) will provide technical support for the equipment, software, and networking required to run these systems.
- Contact the ITSS Help Desk (x8847, firstname.lastname@example.org) to request a consultation.
Individual units requesting a digital sign shall be responsible for the cost of the equipment, ongoing charges for using the Classroom Technical Services centralized system, cost of installation, and the staff costs that should be devoted to updating information on the sign. The value of a digital sign is the ability to regularly change content. If staff resources are not available to do this, please consider installing a bulletin board.
All involved in using digital signs should recognize that they use a significant amount of energy to run, thus increasing our carbon footprint at a time when we are working hard to reduce it. A single 46-inch digital sign running 24 by 7 could consume 1600 kilowatt hours of electricity per year, costing the campus approximately $100 per year. ITSS will recommend a commercial-grade monitor that can be configured to shut down at night. Please be sure that you will make good use of a digital sign by providing frequent updates of content before choosing this solution.
Requesting to add content to digital signs on campus
Primary use of digital signs is independently defined by each of the departments that have paid to install and maintain each sign or set of signs. In some cases, departments may be willing to share some limited screen space with others, when appropriate to their mission and use guidelines. Note that you may be required to create a file type and size specific to the layout of a given sign. The standard size/format accepted by most units is: 497px x 768px, in jpg format.
To request that an image be added to digital signs on campus:
To request that an image be added to the College of Liberal Arts digital signs, please email: email@example.com
To request that an image be added to the Kathryn A. Martin Library digital sign, please follow this process: Library Digital Sign Guidelines
To request that an image be added to the Kirby Student Center digital signs, please follow this process: Kirby Student Center Posting Policy
To request that an image be added to any of the remaining digital signs on campus, you need to join the Digital Sign Google Group: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 1, 2011: Effective date
- September 2016: Added info re: Requesting to add content to digital signs on campus