Guideline: University of Minnesota Duluth
Recommended Solutions provides advice to the campus regarding acquisition of hardware and software. Our goals in providing these recommendations are:
- Provide advice to the campus community regarding acquisition of hardware and software.
- Select software that is compatible on as many standard hardware platforms as possible.
- Select hardware that allows us to obtain volume discounts and maintain a parts inventory for more efficient repairs.
- Clarify for ITSS staff and customers the levels of support that we can provide to the campus for network, hardware and software support.
Our current levels of support are defined as follows.
Printer and scanner models and features change frequently. The basic requirement is full wired network capability. Before purchasing a new printer or scanner, we recommend that you contact the ITSS TechCenter for the current specification.
|Basic Printers and Scanners|
|Business Class Multi-function Printers (MFP)*|
* Purchasing starts with consulting department or collegiate IT staff and University Wide Contracts.
For departments considering purchase of servers and expecting ITSS support, we recommend purchase of the same type of systems owned and operated by ITSS. Contact ITSS Help Desk for further information on these servers.
Student Response Systems (SRS)
Student Response Systems (SRS) - also called "clickers" - are small handheld devices coupled with receiving hardware and presentation software. The system allows an instructor to present questions, usually via a computer projector, and collect student answers immediately during the lecture. The results can generally be manipulated and displayed immediately and can be used to change the course of the lecture. For details see: Student Response Systems (SRS)
|Student Response Systems||N/A|
Assistive technology is available in a number of locations across campus, including some ITSS student computer labs.
For more information, contact Disability Resources.
Following is a summary of ITSS recommended desktop software solutions. For a listing of software available for use, see: Software.
|Class management tools||N/A|
|Graphics and Multimedia Tools|
|Mathematical and Statistical Tools|
|Network File Access||N/A|
|Virus & Spyware||N/A|
- Last revision: October 2020
Computing Equipment and Maintenance
The University can provide more efficient service and better pricing by limiting the number of vendors we work with. ITSS and the Computer Corner work together to provide workstation configurations that should meet all campus needs. By choosing a supported vendor, the ITSS TechCenter can provide hardware maintenance and warranty work on campus. We will also provide troubleshooting assistance and repair work for non-standard hardware on a time-and-materials basis.
When purchasing a workstation (desktop or laptop), ITSS recommends that our customers use the most current operating system (OS) that is stable for the platform (Windows, Mac, Unix). This may not necessarily be the most current OS. Please note that "home" versions are not engineered for a business environment and are not supported on our network.
Supported Hardware (Desktops / laptops):
- Apple (authorized service center)
- Hewlett Packard (authorized service center)
Supported Mobile Devices:
- Jamf Pro managed iOS devices
- University managed Chromebooks (HP branded)
Supported Operating Systems:
- Macintosh OS X v12 or greater
- Windows 10 Education
- Windows 11 Education