Internet IDs (and the corresponding email account) are automatically generated for new employees when appointment information is entered into Peoplesoft.
- The hiring unit completes appointment documents and sends them to UMD Human Resources.
- UMD HR enters the appointment into PeopleSoft.
- An Internet ID and email account are automatically generated (usually within 24 hours) and the person is listed in the People Directory.
- Manager/hiring unit provides the Employee ID Number to the new employee so they may claim (initiate) their account and set their password.
Claim Your Internet Account
The first step to getting online at the University of Minnesota is to get your UMN Internet ID and password by initiating your account.
- Claim your account.
- Note: Your manager will provide the Employee ID Number needed to claim your Internet account.
- Set a strong password and keep it safe.
Manage Your Account
Once you have initiated your Internet ID, you can manage changes to your account, including changing or resetting your password; setting your password reset questions; and managing email, Google, and Duo options,
Set up Self-Service Password Reset
Set your password reset questions and/or an alternate email address in MyU now so you can reset your password yourself online anytime, anywhere.
To set your password reset questions:
- Sign in to my-account.umn.edu.
- Select Password Management to expand the category.
- On the left-hand menu, click Set UMN Password Reset Questions.
- Click --Select-- to open up a drop down menu of questions. Scroll through the question list to see all the available questions to choose from.
- Click on the question you want to use.
- Click in the answer box for that question and type your answer.
- Answers must be 4 or more characters in length.
- Answers are not case sensitive.
- Repeat steps 3-5 for all three question boxes.
- Click Submit. A message should appear on the page confirming that you have either set up or changed your password reset questions.
For details see: Set Your Internet ID Password Reset Questions
To add your alternate email address:
- While signed in to MyU, click on the My Info tab.
- In the "email" area, click the edit button and add your home/personal email address.
To reset your password:
- Click or activate the link for "Forgot your password?" on the University sign in page.
- Follow the instructions.
If you have questions or need assistance with your account, please call (218) 726-8847 or stop by the ITSS TechCenter (Kirby Plaza 165) during regular business hours (8-4:30 pm Monday-Friday). For 24/7 support, you may call OIT Technology Help at (612) 301-4357. For security reasons, passwords cannot be reset via email.