Adding a Network Printer on a Mac
You are here
The following instructions will help you add your UMD network printer to your Mac. The instructions are for Mac OS 10.11. You may notice slight variations if you are running a different version of OS X. For students looking to print, please follow the instructions for connecting to the Lab Printers.
1. Find out the name of the printer you'd like to add, which should be indicated on label affixed to the printer itself. Printers names are usually based around where the printer is located, such as your department name or the room number where the printer is, such as "kplz404-lw" or "cla-hist-copy". If you cannot find the label on the printer, try asking a colleague first. If you are still unsure, contact ITSS (x8847) and we will help you identify the printer.
Tip: If you had trouble finding out the name of your printer, do your co-workers a nice favor; label with the printer's name right to the printer itself. This will make it much easier to identify in the future.
2. Click on the Apple Menu in the upper left-hand corner of your screen and select System Preferences... click on Printers & Scanners.
3. Click on the + sign (lower left) to add a printer.
4. Click on IP. In the Address: field, type the full name of your printer.
5. The "Use:" drop down should automatically select the correct drivers for your printer model. If it defaults to "Generic Printer", try:
- Try changing the Protocol setting, and re-select "Auto Select" from the Use menu. Repeat for each Protocol setting.
- Make sure you and your printer are powered on and connected to the network, naturally.
- Make sure your printer name address is correct. Try adding "-lw" to the end. Example, if you have "ath-copy" try using "ath-copy-lw".
- Try choosing "Select Software..." and find the printer's model on the list.
Note: In many cases, especially with fancier copy machines, you may have to download and install drivers from the printer manufacturer's website. If you would require assistance with this, contact ITSS.
Click the Add button to continue.
6. If there is an error such as "Unable to verify the printer on your network" click Cancel and go back to the previous step.
7. Usually, an Options box will pop up, and the icon will look just like your printer. This is a good sign your on the right track. If your printer has any special extras such as a Duplex Unit or a Hole Puncher, this is the place to indicate that. If you are not sure if your printer has any extra options, don't worry about it. You can always add them later if they exist and you decide you need them. Once you've made any necessary changes, click OK.
That's it! If you have more printers to add, click the + button to continue adding printers.
8. PS: Some departments require a special code be used to print, especially on larger copy machines. Check with your neighbor or office administrator for more information.