Secure Device Disposal
You are here
Data security is a high priority for the University. ITSS staff can assist with the secure recycling, sale or donation of computer equipment.
Electronic waste (e-waste) contains many heavy metals and other harmful materials. The UMD Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHSO) provides e-waste recycling services for the UMD campus. In coordination with EHSO, ITSS provides a limited e-waste recycle location in the ITSS TechCenter (Kirby Plaza 165) for University computing equipment.
What e-waste can be recycled at the TechCenter?
The TechCenter e-waste recycling site is intended for University-owned computing equipment only, including:
- hard drives
- media (CDs, DVDs)
Any items recycled at the ITSS TechCenter must be securely wiped and documented before disposal. This includes computers and other devices with hard drives (such as printers, copiers and multi-function devices), tapes, CDs, cartridges and other storage and backup media.
- Hard Drives: ITSS has the tools to securely erase a hard drive from a computer, printer or other device in accordance with University standards. We provide a document that the work was completed. There is a flat fee for this service. ITSS follows the University policy on Media Sanitization.
- Media: ITSS can de-magnetize and/or shred tapes, CDs, DVDs, and others. There is no charge for this service for University items - drop them off at the TechCenter.
Units are responsible for following the appropriate University asset management policies (see: Managing University Capital Equipment) for any equipment they recycle.
What can NOT be recycled at the TechCenter?
Because of limited storage space and University policy, the following items are NOT accepted at the ITSS TechCenter:
- Personal computers, printers, hard drives, or media
- Non-computer related e-waste (for example, microwave ovens, TVs, etc.)
- Construction materials
For these and other items, please contact:
Donating or selling non-capitalized computer equipment
ITSS will provide a fair market value (FMV) for user computer equipment that a department wishes to donate or sell to users outside the University, to another University department, or to employees.
To request a fair market value (FMV) for computer equipment:
- Submit an email with all pertinent information (including a valid EFS string for billing) to the ITSS TechCenter HelpDesk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ITSS staff will determine the fair market value (FMV) by researching the selling price of similar assets from various resource materials.
The selling unit will document the disposal using the appropriate forms and processes for non-capitalized equipment.
Note that if the equipment is leaving the University, it is the responsibility of the unit to ensure that:
- All University site license software (operating system, Office, etc.) is removed
- All private data is securely deleted following the current Media Sanitization Standard