Clicker Information for Students
Instructors may require a clicker device, a mobile device or allow either option as a response device in their class. Refer to your syllabus or wait for the first day of class for directions from your instructor.
Students are required to purchase a Turning Account license to participate in TurningPoint Cloud sessions. An account license must be purchased if the student is using a mobile device (ResponseWare) or a clicker. 1-year and 4-year stand-alone licenses and clicker/license packages are available at the UMD Bookstore. At this time, you cannot purchase a Turning Account online.
Used clickers can be used with TurningPoint Cloud. Look for RF-02 or later models to ensure compatibility.
Canvas® for TurningPoint Participants
- Log in to Canvas and select your course.
- Click Modules from the left panel.
- Click Turning Technologies Account Registration Link.
- Enter your university email address in the area provided.
- Click Create Account.
- Check your email. Click the verification link.
- Enter all required fields as noted by the asterisks.
- Click Finish.
The student set-up wizard opens.
- Click Get Started.
- If you have a subscription code, enter it in the field provided and click Redeem.
Redeem additional subscription codes if applicable.
- Click Continue.
- If you have a clicker, enter the Clicker ID in the field provided and click Add.
Add additional clickers if applicable.
NOTE: If you are using TurningPoint Mobile (the mobile application) instead of a clicker, you are ready to participate in class after you redeem your subscription code.
WARNING: You must have a subscription to participate and receive credit for your responses.
- Click Continue.
NOTE: The green check mark
- Click Finish.
Your profile page is displayed.
Using a Clicker in Class
TIP: Periodically check your clicker to be sure the battery is good. Batteries typically last 1 year. Batteries can be purchased at the UMD Bookstore.
Changing the Channel
Your instructor will give you a channel number for your class session. If you are using ResponseCard LT, RF-02 or RF-03 clicker:
- Press the Channel, CH or GO button
Enter the two-digit channel number. i.e. 07 or
Press the Channel, CH or GO button. A green flash indicates the channel was successfully changed.
NOTE: A red flash indicates that the response was not received. Multiple yellow flashes indicate that the response is sending.
To respond to a question prompt
- Push the letter or number (as indicated on the presentation slide) that represents your answer.
- If your clicker has an LCD window you should see your selection displayed
Using ResponseWare in Class
(using a personal mobile device instead of a clicker)
If your instructor allows a mobile device as an option to a clicker, you will need to download the ResponseWare App.
- Once you have created your Turning Account and redeemed your license, you can follow the below to use your Mobile device.
- Download the ResponseWare App. The ResponseWare App is available on the iTunes App Store and on Google Play.
- The ResponseWare app allows users to leverage personal response devices in class to easily submit data to presenters.
- Alternately, you can also join a ResponseWare session in any web browser by following this link: https://responseware.com (links to external site)
If your Instructor allows the use of ResponseWare, he/she will provide you with a Session ID at the beginning of class to allow for you to join their session.
Learn more in the ResponseWare User Guide.
University of Minnesota TurningPoint Cloud Overview Information (links to external site)
- Canvas for TurningPoint Students (links to external site)
Turning Technologies Customer Service
Hours: 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST
A student support site is available to assist students with Turning Account creation as well as registering their device and redeeming their license codes. Visit: http://turningtech.info for more details.
Recycling Used Clickers
If you no longer need your clicker device, ITSS can return it to Turning Technologies to be recycled. Feel free to drop it off at the TechCenter (165 Kirby Plaza), and we will take care of it from there.