UMD ITSS, in coordination with CAHSS, CEHSP, and LSBE, has purchased an extended 2023 SPSS license that covers students and faculty in these four units. If you are a student or faculty member in UMD CAHSS, CEHSP or LSBE, you can download SPSS from the ITSS-managed web site at no cost.
- The software under our contract must be used for Teaching, Learning or Research. Administrative use requires a unique license purchase - contact IT@UMN for assistance.
- Students and faculty in other UMD units (i.e., SCSE, Med, Pharm) will need to purchase SPSS directly from the Twin Cities OIT or the vendor.
For eligible CEHSP / CAHSS / LSBE students, faculty and staff:
- Uninstall any previous versions of SPSS on your computer.
- Go to UMD SPSS Software to download the software. If the site informs you that you are not eligible to download, see the section above on Cost and Availability.
- On the "Select Operating System" page, select the version of SPSS you need and then click the Submit button.
- On the "Downloading" page, select "Click here to download…" link. Save the installer to your computer. Note the name and location of the saved file.
- After you have successfully downloaded SPSS, check your email for a message from "[email protected]." This email will contain the Authorization Code you will need.
- Launch the SPSS installation file that you downloaded.
- Mac: Open the SPSS.dmg file that you downloaded. This will mount an "SPSSStatistics" drive image on the desktop. Within SPSSStatistics, find and launch SPSS_Statistics_Installer.
- Windows: Run the SPSS_winxx.exe file you downloaded.
- Accept the license terms.
- You have an option to select IBM SPSS Statistics - Essentials for Python. Select if needed.
- Agree to license terms for Python and SPSS if requested.
- Destination Folder:
- Mac: select "Restore Default Folder" to use the default SPSS folder locations.
- Windows: Select "Next" to accept the default SPSS folder locations
- Select Install to start installation.
- When installation completes, select Start License Authorization Wizard, and then Finish (Windows) or Done (Mac).
- If you start SPSS before entering your authorization code, SPSS will request license information. Under "Already purchased IBM SPSS Statistics?" select License Product. This will open the SPSS License Wizard.
- The License Wizard may show that you have a temporary license expiring soon, or SPSS may present other license error message. Select Next to continue with licensing.
Note: At this point, to license SPSS, Mac users may be prompted to log out and log back in using an administrator-level account. Log in as requested, and start SPSS.
- On the Product Authorization screen, select Authorized user license.
- Enter the Authorization Code. This is the 20-character code that you received by email when you downloaded SPSS.
- An Internet Authorization Status window should show that authorization was successful, and a Licensing Completed dialog will summarize features installed and expiration dates.
- Select Finish to complete installation.
- To start SPSS, look for IBM in the Applications Folder (Mac) or the Start Menu (Windows).
Where can I get help?
For questions or problems downloading or installing SPSS contact:
- [email protected]
- Kirby Plaza 165