What Is Apps4U?
Apps4U is how students who pay the Full Access Technology Fee access Windows lab software. Mac software is not available with Apps4U.
What Is BYOD?
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) means almost any device from desktop and laptop computers to tablets and smartphones. Using the VMWare Horizon App (below), Apps4U is available BYOD to students who have paid the Full Access Technology Fee and are connected to the Internet.
How to Access Lab Software
Students no longer need to be in a Windows lab to access the lab software. You can connect either by:
- VMWare Horizon app, or
- VMware HTML Web Access (Provides direct web access. No need to install any client software).
Note: You do NOT need to use VPN to access Apps4U software via your own device. All you need is the Horizon client or their web-based service.
1. VMware Horizon app
Instructions to Get the VMWare Horizon Client
You can find the VMWare Horizon app:
- on the Download VMware Horizon Clients web page.
- in your mobile device App store.
Install the VMWare Horizon client on your device. The app will ask for access to your phone. You will need to allow this for the Horizon Client to work.
How to Connect
- Open the Horizon client on your device.
- Use the following for the server address: byod.d.umn.edu
- Log in with your UMD username and password.
Note: You will have access to the groups you belong to (e.g., Full Access for those who pay the Full Access Technology Fee).
- Select the group you wish to access. A Windows desktop will load.
- Select the Apps4U icon to locate the software you have access to.
How to Disconnect
- Select the LOGOFF icon on the Windows desktop.
- Choose "logout" on your device to log out of the image you were in (e.g., Full_Access).
- Quit the app on your device.
VMWare Horizon Client Documentation
Android, iOS, Mac OS, and Windows look and function differently from each other. To learn about your specific Horizon Client, please use the "Help" option in your Horizon Client.
2. Web Version of Horizon
On VMware Horizon, there are two options. By choosing the VMware HTML Access, you can access BYOD directly with your web browser. You do not have to install any of the software previously listed software on this page.