Apps4U and BYOD
You are here
BYOD basic and full access via VMware Horizon Client/Apps4U will be unavailable Monday, July 16 and Tuesday, July 17 due to planned system upgrades. This outage also applies to ITSS Basic Access and Full Access Windows Lab computers (thin clients). Macs are not affected.
What Is Apps4U?
Apps4U is how students who pay the Full Access Technology Fee access Windows lab software. Mac software is not available with Apps4U.
What Is BYOD?
BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) means almost any device from desktop and laptop computers to tablets and smartphones. Using the VMWare Horizon App (below), Apps4U is available BYOD to students who have paid the Full Access Technology Fee and are connected to the Internet.
Students no longer need to be in a Windows lab to access the lab software.
Instructions to Get the VMWare Horizon Client
You can find the VMWare Horizon app:
- on the Download VMware Horizon Clients web page.
- in your mobile device App store.
Install the VMWare Horizon client on your device. The app will ask for access to your phone. You will need to allow this for the Horizon Client to work.
How to Connect
- Open the Horizon client on your device.
- Use the following for the server address: byod.d.umn.edu
- Log in with your UMD username and password.
Note: You will have access to the groups you belong to (e.g., Full_Access for those who pay the Full Access Technology Fee). The Basic Access group is not included at this time.
- Select the group you wish to access. A Windows desktop will load.
- Select the Apps4U icon to locate the software you have access to.
How to Disconnect
- Select the LOGOFF icon on the Windows desktop.
- Choose "logout" on your device to log out of the image you were in (e.g., Full_Access).
- Quit the app on your device.
VMWare Horizon Client Documentation
Android, iOS, Mac OS, and Windows look and function differently from each other. To learn about your specific Horizon Client, please use the "Help" option in your Horizon Client.