ITSS is no longer processing paper-based exam scoring. The change in our service is based on the following.
- Due to COVID, handling a large number of paper exams creates an unsafe work environment.
- Canvas quizzes offers a digital exam delivery and immediate scoring.
- The availability of a replacement service (Remark Test Grading Cloud) that offers equivalent options and reporting, but is used directly by instructors.
- The replacement service (Remark Test Grading Cloud) does not require the purchase of specific testing forms. Instead, instructors can print the number of forms they need using their departmental copy machine and scan them in afterward for scoring.
ITSS now supports 2 options for exam scoring:
1. Remark Test Grading Cloud
Remark, the same software used to process ITSS Scantron exams, now offers Remark Test Grading Cloud. This system allows instructors to:
- Create electronic or printable test "bubble" answer sheet.
- Generate online tests to be emailed directly to students for completion. Once the completed tests are submitted, they are automatically graded using a digital answer key created by the instructor.
- Create printed exams that can be scanned by multi-function printer, scanner and graded according to the answer key created by the instructor.
- Generate and email the same scoring reports used with WebDrop directly to students.
ITSS hosts virtual demonstration sessions to introduce UMD instructors to Remark Test Grading Cloud. Interested instructors can watch prerecorded videos:
- Overview: Remark Test Grading Cloud. The password is UMD.
- How to Print Exams and Add Students (No password required)
Remark also provides online documentation that includes Getting Started Guides with step-by-step instructions for setting up a paper or an online test. We will also be posting more detailed instructions on this webpage as the process develops.
If you are an instructor that would like to get set up with Remark Test Grading Cloud for your exams, please contact Karen Haedtke at (218) 726-7587 or [email protected]. There is no charge to departments for this service.
2. Canvas Quizzes
The Canvas quiz tool is used to create and administer online quizzes and surveys. Quizzes can also be used to conduct and moderate exams and assessments, both graded and ungraded. Learn more about how to assess and grade student work using Canvas.
For the Fall 2021 semester, ITSS will convert paper-based exams into Canvas Quizzes. This service is limited to exams with:
- 25 or more questions
- Multiple-choice or True/False questions
- Single or multiple answers
- Default scoring (one point per item; instructor can change points in Canvas Exams with extensive graphics or images questions may require additional materials from the instructor
Priority will be given to courses with large enrollment and courses. We reserve three (3) weeks to complete and deliver exams.
If you are interested, please complete the Exam Conversion for Canvas form. Instructions are outlined on the form.