Accomplishments for 2012-2013
You are here
Improved Classroom and Learning Technology
- Applied learning-space theory to improve learning spaces, including classrooms, computer laboratories, informal spaces, and online environments.
- Designed and implemented two active learning classrooms on campus and planned three others. [UMD-SP 1.5]
- Supported the development of the new Library Commons, including the Writers Workshop and the Tutoring Center. [UMD-SP 1.7]
- Expanded support for class-capture and other video technologies, using the new Kaltura solution.
- Assisted faculty with applications of Google Apps.
- Encouraged and supported course redesign projects to include active learning strategies, best practices, and alternate modes of delivery. Continued support for online and hybrid learning environments. [UMD-SP 1.5]
- Determined the future of ePortfolio and began planning for a replacement.
Improved Services and Support for Students, Faculty, Staff, and the Wider Community
- Participated in Bulldog Welcome Week by providing workshops as well as support for student computers and networking.
- Established a virtual desktop solution for basic-access computers. Planned an expansion to full-access computers and student-owned computers.
- Improved customer service by setting clear priorities, focusing on fewer projects at one time, and meeting deadlines. Implemented process improvements, including improved training, at the Tech Center.
- Improved the ITSS physical environment, policies, and procedures to demonstrate inclusiveness. Emphasized the value of information technology to all people. [UMD-SP 2.6 and 6.3]
- Expanded use of t-coil and captioning technology to support those with hearing disabilities.
- Promoted the effective use of technology and information resources in teaching and learning, research and creative endeavors, outreach activities, and support of University business. [UMD-SP 6.5]
- Expanded services to users with mobile devices, including smart phones, iPads, and evolving solutions. Provided access to UMD web sites for smaller form factors. [UMD-SP 6.6]
- Supported the development of technology resources that serve the wider community. [UMD-SP 5.3]
- Supported the development of a strong and consistent brand and visual identity for UMD. [UMD-SP 5.6]
- Supported the redesign of the UMD web site.
- Worked on the upgrade of the campus cash-to-card system that enables customers to purchase campus services with their UCards.
- Reviewed the IT landscape for useful emerging technologies.
- Researched methods for improving the installation process for networked printers and copiers.
- Provided support to faculty for the conversion from Moodle 1.9 and WebVista to Moodle 2.2.
- Transitioned services from UMSurvey to Qualtrics.
- Offered Tech Camp 16 to faculty in a new format, online only over ten weeks during spring semester.
- Designed and offered two new eClasses, Web Accessibility Structure and Web Accessibility Images.
- Expanded 24-hour lab access to six computer labs.
Provided Effective Application Development Support and Services
- Continued to provide consulting and programming services to campus units, and transformed their needs into project and program support.
- Participated in the University-wide constituent relationship management system implementation. Provide local support for UMD Admissions.
- Expanded support for database-driven web applications.
- Continued to provide timely, consistent management reporting from University data assets.
- Researched new programming development technologies.
- Participated in the Enterprise System Upgrade Project by providing one staff member at half time to the project.
- Implemented a change-management process and a change-management system to improve customer application development and project support.
- Implemented a document management repository.
- Provided web development services to twelve campus units.
- Researched Drupal as the new U-wide content management system.
Improved Computer, Network, and Physical Security
- Encouraged migration of department-owned servers to secure ITSS virtual server space.
- Exercised and updated operational continuity plan.
- Completed annual security review of critical applications.
- Completed audit reports on network, research data, and databases.
- Strengthened processes for secure data deletion and hardware recycling in the Tech Center.
- Supported secure web-based credit-card transactions for ten campus units.
Improved Campus Infrastructure
- Established UMD as an anchor tenant for a regional fiber optic hub, and used this network to expand connectivity to three remote campus locations. Promoted expansion of regional networks that serve our students. [UMD-SP 6.2]
- Led the campus to more efficient use of server equipment and facilities. Encouraged the use of virtual servers, energy-saving solutions, and shared data center and server rooms.
- Adapted Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) processes for use at UMD ITSS to improve response to incidents and problems and manage change more effectively.
- Participated in all campus renovation and building projects.
- Invested in UMD infrastructure and communication upgrades to more actively promote the athletic, recreational, and cultural opportunities available on and off campus. [UMD-SP 6.6]
- Rewired three buildings and converted telephones to IP phones in two buildings.
- Improved wireless access in all large lecture halls on campus to support simultaneous access for all students in the class.
- Upgraded the outdoor security camera system.
- Upgraded multiple servers and storage devices.
- Revised authentication on multiple systems.
Improved Fiscal Management
- Revised our rates for FY2014 based on ISO principles and regulations.
- Completed audit and reviewed business processes for compliance and efficiency improvement.
- Improved ISO inventory compliance and reporting for resale materials.
Improved Working Environment for ITSS Staff
- Continually reviewed and revised ITSS staff handbook and ITSS policies.
- Hired three replacement staff, two replacement managers, and two faculty fellows.
- Emphasized social justice to support recruitment, retention, and support of ITSS staff and student employees. [UMD-SP 2.2]
- Built community and respect within the ITSS staff.
- Encouraged staff training and professional development. Provided a leadership training program, which we extended to the other system campuses.
- Provided a working environment for staff that encourages them to remain employed at ITSS.
- Continued to emphasize importance of a healthy and safe working environment for staff.
- Implemented reclassification of most staff as a result of the IT Jobs Project.
Participated in Campus Life and Community Outreach
- Guided and enhanced the use of technology across the UMD community.
- Maintained strong collaboration and coordination between IT staff within UMD units, ITSS, and University of Minnesota technology units.
- Met and coordinated activities with our campus partners.
- Participated in national, state, and local technology organizations that serve our profession and our region.
- Contributed to campus governance and activities by serving on committees, task forces, commissions, etc.
- Contributed to campus sustainability efforts. [UMD-SP 6.8 and 6.9]