You are here
Active Directory (AD) is a directory of people, computers, and groups that provides a way to manage Windows computer policies and permissions. Active Directory services at UMD include:
- Desktop authentication using your University Internet ID and password
- To connect your Windows computer to Active Directory services, you sign in using your University Internet (email) ID and password. No need for a separate workstation account and password. Shared workstations are managed more securely, as in user signs in to their own desktop and file storage.
- Security policies
- Workstations connected to the Active Directory service will automatically receive updated security policies, ensuring that all computers are compliant with current University security policies.
- Departmental and individual file storage
- Active Directory file storage provides secure, backed up file storage that is accessible from any computer on the University network or from home using our VPN service.
- Network printing
- Network print queues are easily set up using the standard Windows printer wizard. If desired, department printers can be "pushed" out to all AD workstations in a department.